As a barometer for the latest trends in fine food, the Gourmet Selection “Best Of” awards distinguish products and services offering genuine added value.
The judging panel, made up of experts and professionals selected for their love of good products, tastes the products and inspect them from all angles to single out the “must-have” stars of the show.
Products are selected for their organoleptic qualities: visual appeal, texture, taste, smell, flavours. Non-food products are judged on criteria such as innovation, environmental impact, etc.
On the opening morning of the show, the awards ceremony will reveal the winners.
Discover the new members of Vincent Ferniot's brigade of experts who will form the jury of the Best Of 2020 competition! This year, the president of the jury has put together a team from different backgrounds, but with complementary experience and talents.
Among them, Morgan ABBOU (@morganabbou): Trend-Influencer Food who travels the world in search of talents to reveal and beautiful life & food stories to tell. He is also a recognized specialist in Mediterranean cuisine.
We also find Anne DEBBASCH (@lechocolatdanstousnosétats), nicknamed with her sister Anne "Les Soeurs Chocolat", a blogger passionate about artisans of taste and especially real good chocolate! She is also a member of the very select Club des Croqueurs de Chocolat whose annual guide is a reference for the profession.
Nathalie SCHRAEN-GUIRMA (@nat_made_in_france ) journalist and host (Télématin/France 2 and C'est Ça la France/Sud Radio) Nathalie is a specialist of Made in France. She is also a passionate of flavours and a champion of locavores.
Finally, Gwilherm de CERVAL (@gwilherm_de_cerval) sommelier and columnist for Très Très Bon! alongside François-Régis Gaudry on Paris-Première. He is an excellent taster always looking for new experiences and unusual products.
The “BEST OF” AWARDS HAVE DISTINGUISHED MANY COMPANIES SINCE THEIR LAUNCH:
André Boyer, Araku Coffee, La Brouette, Bú, Cape and Cape, La Chanteracoise, La Chambre aux confitures, Charles Chocolartisan, Le clos de Laure, Cur'Caraïbes, Didier Goubet, Granny's Secret, Miels Hédène, Jimini’s, Joe&Avrel’s, R Junca, Kaviari, Christine Le Tennier, Libeluile, Maison Bevillon, Maison Gramm’s, Maison Pralus, Marc Peyrey Pastis de l’Ile de Ré, Pekocko, Fishgourmet, Venchi, Vignolis.
Trends in fine food from the 2019 edition
- Expanding their range on markets directly connected to their original activity, such as for example a food service area, catering service, tasting workshops, etc. delicatessens could also develop through new influence vectors that reinforce the customer experience such as Fauchon, which has for example opened a five-star hotel in Paris, the first in an international network of 20 other establishments.
- Diversifying their target audience, on a business-to-business market, for example. In addition to traditional business gift services, another possibility could be to develop an event-driven service offering such as the organisation of receptions for firms, following the lead of Lenôtre, or a training and consultancy service aimed at food artisan professionals.
- Developing new retail formats: this has already been initiated by many players in the profession, in particular through online stores and home delivery of gourmet products. Web-to-store arrangements could also be developed, with services such as “click and collect” to offer customers of the benefits of both the Internet (rapidity, easy product filtering) and the physical store (personal service, advice, etc.).
- Geographical expansion is also, unsurprisingly, a growth lever which has already been adopted by leading brands, but is also a good practice for independent retailers to investigate. Exporting French culinary heritage is a fine opportunity that many delicatessen brands have already leveraged by opening sales outlets in foreign capitals. Smaller stores, meanwhile, could develop online sales, as the majority of leading brands already have.
They participate in 2019 :
A L'OLIVIER, Action Finland!, ALAIN MILLIAT SAS, Alix & Sakura, anteadote - MJS SARL, AQUADEM, ATELIER BERNARD MAROT, Atelier JEANTAINE, ATELIER TB, BACOMA CREATIONS, Bidaian, BISCOTTERIE LA CHANTERACOISE, Biscottificio Antonio Mattei dal 1858, BISCUITERIE ARTISANALE FARRUGIA, BISCUITERIE DE PROVENCE, BOCALERIE DES GOURMETS, Bodegas Robles Ecologico, Bonbons BARNIER, BOVETTI CHOCOLATS SAS, BRASSERIE METEOR, BRUNI GLASS France, CALUGI SRL, CAMPO D'ORO VILLA REALE SICILIA, CASAS DE HUALDO, CASTELAS SARL, CATRICE GOURMET, CEROMI, Champagne G.M. HERARD, CHARLES CHOCOLARTISAN, Chateau d'Estoublon, Chatillon Chocolatier, CHEZ CE CHER SERGE, CHIC DES PLANTES !, CHOC AND CO S.A., Chocolat Beussent Lachelle, CHOCOLAT MATHEZ, Chocolaterie DuPLESSIS, CIAO GUSTO, CIDRE FOURNIER - FOURNIER FRERES SARL, CMJ - Les Biscuits de Mel, COMPAGNIE COLONIALE, COMPTOIR DU CACAO, Comptoir Français du Thé, COMPTOIRS RICHARD, CONFISERIE ADAM, CONSERVAS ARTESANAS ROSARA S. L., CONSERVERIE AU BEC FIN, CONSERVERIE GONIDEC, CONSERVERIE GROIX ET NATURE, CONSERVERIE ST CHRISTOPHE, CUR'CARAIBES, De Beauvoorder, Debailleul, DELICES SAINT ORENS, DISTILLERIE GERVIN, DOLFIN SA, DONNA FRANCESCA, DULSA, Coffee Confectionery, DUNOON CERAMICS LTD, DYNAMIQUE PROVENCALE, EDEN CHOCOLAT - L'ATELIER DES GOURMETS, ESAT Domaine de Saint Gilles, Essense, ETABLISSEMENTS GEORGE CANNON, ETOIL, EVOOTRADE SL, EXCEL FOIE GRAS SAS, FAVOLS, Fondo Forestal Iberico S.L., FRANCOIS DOUCET CONFISEUR, FRANTOIO SCALIA, GIMBER, GIN DE BINCHE, GLOBEXPLORE, GOULIBEUR, GOURMANDISE S. L., GOURMET & CO, GRANO LADIES, H.THEORIA, HAPPY PLANTES, HEDENE, Huilerie Croix Verte, I CONTADINI, IDEAL CROQUEMBOUCHE, ISUL ALMAZARA ECOLÓGICA DE LA RIOJA, ITALIANS TRADITIONAL TEMPTATIONS, JAMBONS OLIVERAS, JC DAVID, JUSRE, KAFÉ WAKA, KALIOS, L'ATELIER DU POISSONNIER, L'EPICURIEN, LA CAVE DELOBEL & FILS, LA CHAMBRE AUX CONFITURES, LA COLLINA TOSCANA, La Confiturière, LA COUR D'ORGERES, LA FRANCO ARGENTINE, LA LIMONADERIE DE PARIS, La Maison du Miel Paris, LA MAISON KYRËGAL, LA PLANTATION EUROPE, LA TRUFFE DU VENTOUX, LAFITTE, LAGUILHON FOIES GRAS, LE BAUME DE BOUTEVILLE, LE BOUCHON DE BORDEAUX, LE CHOCOLAT DES FRANÇAIS, Le Jardin de Lydie, LE MAS DES CONFITURES, Le Père craquant, Les Abeilles de Malescot, Les Anis de Flavigny, Les Assaisonnements Briards, Les Babas de Saint-Malo, LES BISCUITS MADEMOISELLE, LES CROQUANTS D'ELO, Les eaux minérales de VELLEMINFROY, LES SAVEURS GRANVILLAISES, LIBELUILE, LO CORTI DE SAVOIE, MAFFREN CONFISEUR, MAISON ARGAUD, MAISON AROSTEGUY, MAISON BARTHOUIL, MAISON BOUTARIN, Maison COMBES, MAISON DESSIS, Maison Drans, MAISON ESPIG, MAISON GUINGUET, Maison Martin - Le Piment Français, MAISON NAJA, MAISON PECOU, Maison Perrotte, Maison Suzanne, Maison Wurfel, Maison-FOUQUET, Mange tes graines, MARC PEYREY SARL, MASSERIA PEZZE GALERE FASANO- PUGLIA, MAXIM'S DE PARIS, MAZET DE MONTARGIS, MESTRAL - HUILE D'OLIVE ET CONDIMENTS, MIEL MARTINE, MILLE ET UNE HUILES, MONBANA CHOCOLATERIE, MOULIN SAINT MICHEL, Muroise et Compagnie Sarl, NATURALIM FRANCE MIEL, Nectars de Bourgogne, NEOLIVE, NOUGAT DIANE DE POYTIERS, NOUGATINES SIMON HAINAUX, O'Délices de Lucas, OCNI, OSKARE, PAIN D'EPICES MULOT ET PETITJEAN, Paris-Caramels, Paupério, PICUALIA FRANCE - huile d'olive d'Andalousie, PLANTIN, PrimOli Srl, PROVOKE EXPERIENCE, Rice Crafters, Artisan de Riz Premium, RONDENAY Matthieu, Rue TRAVERSETTE, SANCHEZ FERNANDEZ DE RUTE SL., SAS CAAR LES PETITS PLATS D'ARTHUR, saveur de mets, SAVEURS MODERNES, SAVOR CREATIONS, SDP RUNGIS, SECRETS DE FAMILLE, Socca Chips® - SoccApéro®, Solidar'Monde, SUM SARL, Sur le Sentier des Bergers, TASTY FRANCE - Sophie M, Terre d'Apéro, TERROIRS DU LIBAN, THIBAULT-BERGERON, TIHLI, TRAD'INOV, TRUFFUS, VIDAL FOIE GRAS SARL, VIGNOLIS
- Vincent Ferniot, chairman of the judgingpanel
- Émilie Lesur, in charge of the section "Cuisine et Produits" of journaldesfemmes.com
- Leslie Gogois, chief editor of Yam - Le Mag des Chefs
- Annabelle Schachmes, author of cookbooks, blogger and freelancer
FOCUS ON THE “BEST OF” DISPLAY AREA
To highlight the fine food products winning an award this year, the consultancy centdegrés has decided to turn the Best Of display area into a kitchen, the iconic setting for taste, flavours, enjoyment and sharing.
Visitors will be plunged into a surprising journey of discovery thanks to an impactful and modular décor.
Impactful though its graphic style which will arouse curiosity, even from a distance, with a combination of different perspectives.
But also modular thanks to a few smart features which will enable the space to be adjusted according to the number of prize winners designated.
Around a welcoming table, visitors will be invited to discover the award-winning products in a setting akin to a chef’s private kitchen.
Founded in 1988 by David Nitlich and Elie Papiernik, centdegrés is the international brand intelligence, design & architecture firm (product and graphic design, retail, architecture, video production, digital & innovation). It combines It combines thought, anticipation and action to “Think Far, Do Well”.
With its French origins, centdegrés stands out through its multicultural make-up (eight different nationalities), its experience and its expertise illustrated around the world: its founding office in Hong Kong and its presence over the years with in-house teams in Shanghai, Beijing, Canton, Chengdu, Hong Kong, Shenzhen, Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh, Seoul, Sao Paulo, Dubai, Casablanca, Madrid, Geneva and, of course, Paris.
The firm is an expert in brands that create strong emotional bonds, managing a portfolio of leading international key accounts and multiple local clients in each of its entities.
- A Brand Intelligence team bringing together the fields of prospective, growth marketing, brand strategy and customer marketing
- A Design team featuring visual identity, graphic design, product design, retail design, scenography and product innovation
- An Architecture team with architecture, commercial architecture and “digitail”
- An Activation team with the specialities of web, digital, social communications and TV production and web activities.
Vincent Ferniot, Chairman of the judgingpanel
Leslie Gogois, Chief editor of Yam - Le Mag des Chefs
Émilie Lesur, Responsible of the heading Cooking and Products of journaldesfemmes.com
Annabelle Schachmes, Cookbooks author, blogger and freelancer
DON’T MISS THESE “BEST OF” EVENTS
10:30: awards ceremony
11:30: inauguration of Best Of display area
The five trends in fine food from the 2018 edition
Vincent Ferniot, the ambassador of Gourmet Selection in 2018, and the “Best Of” judges identified five trends in their selection and through their observations:
- The boom in highly innovative products. Artisans and producers go beyond their comfort zone of tradition and regional fare to develop unexpected products which awaken the senses and thus boost the customer experience in fine food stores.
- The growth of savoury. Both tasty and practical, they offer a more flavoursome option to cooking, a chance to eat on-the-go or constitute original gift opportunities, as people now enjoy giving condiments or cooking aids as presents…
- An appetite for dual-taste products. A chocolate tasting of coffee? Surprising, titillating, intriguing… And a sure-fire impulse purchase!
- Interest for new packaging which benefits the product. Consumers are in search of formats and technologies that make life easy. They are therefore attracted to well-designed packs, such as individual portions of fresh products which allow them to eat on-the-go in fine food shops, or packaging that can extend the best-before date.
- Enthusiasm for exotic sourcing. Products from far off horizons or unknown countries are a promise of often first-time taste experiences. This is why peppers, honeys and other rare specialities today have pride of place in consumer cupboards.